What IS Edge of Space?
Edge of Space is a 2D survival, exploration, terraforming, crafting, and building game. It places you in a dynamic open-world sandbox where you must build, create, mold, and work to survive in the deepest, darkest, weirdest, and possibly most interesting part of the "un-known" universe. The world itself is alive, and working against you. You can't let your guard down, or everything you've worked for will be lost!
What is the story?
The story centers around you, as an ArkCo recruit. As one of the few, proud, and lucky men and women of ArkCo, you must go where no one has wanted to go or was technically meant to go. After an indeterminate time in cryo-sleep, you awake to find yourself in a lonely, Bermuda Triangle-like area in the depths of space. There is no way back, you are on your own, and you must fight to survive. Your only hope lies in your knowledge of ArkCo's incredible technologies. Now you must find the materials to produce them in your deadly new home. Can you find what it takes to thrive in the depths of space?
What about the gameplay? How is it different?
Edge of Space features some of things you would expect from a 2d sandbox but then expands in those concepts. In Edge of Space, the very environment is aware of your presence, and will work AGAINST you. The world is immersed in various deadly exposures, further challenging you as you attempt to explore and tame the environment. You must create a breathable atmosphere, capable of sustaining life. Should you cease to maintain that atmosphere, the world will overtake your base, and revert to its original deadly state. Features such as gas simulation, streamlined power grid system, co-op weapons, non-linear advancement system, reactive environment, global goals, and a unique crafting system all enhance the experience. The player vs. environment feel brings different spin to the genre, pitting the player against far more than just mobs. You will be constantly challenged to terraform bigger and bigger portions of the world to keep your hold on it, and ultimately to conquer it all.
Edge of Space Combat: More than just point-and-shoot!
The Edge of Space Combat experience will also bring a more intense action feel to the game. One weapon will NOT save you! Enemies will display a wide variety of attack patterns and methods. The player will have to learn the enemies movements and learn to compensate in order to defeat them. Some may explode on impact, some may launch projectiles, while others may just directly strike the player. Still others may require the player to take to the air, being able to time jet-pack bursts to dodge enemy attacks and to launch your own offensive. Knowing your enemy will be crucial to survival in Edge of Space. To add even more immersion to the survival aspect, players will be confronted with world events and with enemies that become aware that you are there. These types of AI will actually SEEK YOU OUT, once you have come close enough to trigger their awareness. Should you not defeat them, they will from that point, seek your base and attempt to destroy you!
- An open-world, dynamically-generated sandbox: A different environment created with every world creation.
- Reactive environment: Events, Terraforming, and other activities will cause the world to change and respond.
- Exciting multiplayer gameplay built from the ground up: From day one the game has been built with the framework of multiplayer to ensure playing with your friends is not a frustrating experience.
- Fast paced combat and intense action: You'll do more than just sit, jump, and shoot stuff! Dodging, healing, flying, setting traps, and thinking quick on your feet will keep you alive.
- Vaulted server-stored characters and open servers that allow you to bring in characters: one of the great multiplayer support options offered.
- Deep exploration elements: Seek out rare recipes, find lost technology, and change the world to suit your needs and the ultimate goal to dominate it.
- Vehicles, including Mechs and more: Travel, or death machine? You will choose vehicles that best suit your needs as you tackle the challenges ahead.
- Loads of armors, weapons, and variations of each: Self-explanatory, but if you want gear, we got it! Unique weapons like (co-op weapons: 2 weapons when used in conjunction create special effects.)
- Hordes of enemies and epic bosses: Enemies that have unique attack patterns and different vulnerabilities to exploit. One weapon will not rule them all!
- Unique Crafting and tons of things to craft: Our crafting system is one that operates quite different from the crafting systems of other sandbox like games.
- Unique Power Grid system: A streamlined system that offers flexibility and ease of use but does not sacrifice the complex applications for it.
- Integrated IRC chat client: The ability to talk to your friends in other games, freedom to talk to those who are not playing with you, or to be in your own privet world chat only.
- Mega modding support for creation of items, tools, weapons, creatures, and events after release: We come from a strong mod background, and plan to offer a lot of support for those who love to mod, and tools for those new to modding.
This is Only the Beginning!
Edge Of Space is a living game. Currently the video and screenshots available are of the beta version of the game. New updates, features, and content are being added frequently, and we plan on continuing updates throughout the life of Edge Of Space. Here is an idea of what our schedule after release is slated to be: Month One: Focus on adding more content, Bug Fixing, and implementing minor features that were previously tabled due to time constraint. Month two and three: Content and Mod-support. Month Four: Creature AI Update, Advanced crafting update, Vehicles update, More bosses! Etc....We value the community, YOU will help decide how the game evolves. We are an open development team and want to work with the players of EoS to guide the game to be the best it can be!
For more information here is our official FAQ